Monday, March 27, 2017

UWM Special Collections - Photo Book Collection

UWM Special Collections
Photo books
By: Raven Mrozek

UWM has an outstanding special collections resource on campus open to the public. This resource contains thousands of artist books, printed materials, and rare book collections. The range of materials the public has access to is greater than I was aware of. Max Yela and the team in Special Collections can aide in a broad range of research so it is a tool that I will look more into utilizing in my educational  and artistic future. 

After looking through the dozens of books Max Yela pulled for the class to look through, tableau photographer Robert and Shana ParkeHarrison and the collaborators' book The Architect's Brother caught my attention. Their work had an unusually haunting but stunning aesthetic that was very metaphorical and fantastical. After researching ParkeHarrison, I was amazed that they used a technique that was adapted from a type of negative process where they had the ability to combine multiple images into one image.  This process is one I am interested in researching and the hauntingly beautiful way they metaphorically expresses their concept is one I would like to use as an inspiration for future works of mine.






No comments:

Post a Comment