Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Emma Powell - Rachel Semanski/Ideas and Phantasm

Emma Powell

Emma Powell is an assistant professor of art at Colorado College. She's from Rochester Institute of Technology, in which she received her MFA in photography. Powell's work is leaned towards alternative processes and incorporating the history of photography into her work. She deals with environmental issues, personal issues, as well as creating narratives based on fairy tales.

So far, Powell has been the most interesting photographer I have researched in this class. I'm a film junkie, so her portfolio was visually appealing to me. Her work gives me a sense of nostalgia by using alternative, traditional processes. At the same time, she touches on modern digital processes such as Pigment over Platinum that she uses in the series Svala's Saga. Pigment over Platinum is a digital and chemical process combined, using a digital negative and soaked pigmented paper. She incorporates a lot of historical processes into her work like the cyanotype process in addition to the wet-plate process. I also feel a sense of creepiness when viewing her photos, especially in An elegy for the Honeybee. I'm in love with her work; however, I view it as work from an assistant professor and not a professional photographer. Although I do feel like her work succeeds in great heights, it needs to be pushed more. She lacks attachment with her work. I analyzed that her newer work does push those limits and shows improvement in her photographic and editing skills.

The Impermanence of Life and Light 2007-2008



A Life Reviewed: George Eastman through the Viewfinder 2008-2010




An Elegy for the Honeybee 2013-2014



In Search of Sleep 2010-2014




Svala's Saga 2013-Present



No comments:

Post a Comment