Sunday, March 19, 2017

Field Trip - Special Collections UWM Libraries

UWM Special Collections
Artist Book Collection

by: Kylee Diedrich

Wednesday, March 8, as a class we visited the Special Collections at the UWM Library.  I have visited the area many times before, for work related events and also class events.  I find the Special Collections to be full of great resources and objects to help students learn and explore possibilities in many realms of study. Librarian Max Yela placed numerous photographic artist's books out for us all to view.  Some were unique hand-made artist's books, while many were trade publications.

The books I found most interesting and I engaged with most were the artist-made books that showed the artist's hand in some way.  They were unique and visually appealing, giving a unique views on someone's idea of a book. Nothing is wrong with printed books from a commercial publisher, I just found myself drawn to the special and unique books.

While talking with Max Yela more individually he brought out more artist books for me to look at. He also helped me decide a possible direction for my own artist book for my senior thesis project.  I have been trying to decide a direction to go and visiting the Special Collection and talking with Max I was able to decide on a medium and style.


These artist books were among the ones Max brought out to me that influence my decision to build my own  artist's book.  To create something by hand, and create a physical object that is not reproducible. 

Max also pointed out an artist book (one of many copies) made by one of my professors Nicolas Lampert. I found his style to be interesting and inspired me to think more about how I would incorporate my images in the book as well as binding techniques. 

While viewing the other books, I found page numbering, text, poems, and sound to be interesting approaches to creating a book.  I decided on a style I liked in terms of image, text, and page number placements that can add to what my project is trying to address. This visit made me more excited about my own book making and I look forward to what might transpire in the next half of the semester. 



No comments:

Post a Comment